UCM strongly believes that students should gain a worldly perspective with their educational experience. In order to facilitate this goal, the Study Abroad team guides students towards opportunities to study internationally and earn credit hours that count toward virtually every program of study at UCM.
The mission of the Study Abroad Program at UCM is to provide high quality opportunities that are convenient, affordable and aligned with the demands of a globalized society. At UCM, every student can study abroad affordably, gain a valuable worldly perspective, and still graduate in four years. Find more information on studying abroad at ucmo.edu/studyabroad or visit the International Center in Elliott Union room 302.
General Information about Studying Abroad
- In order to study abroad, students must be in good academic standing and have earned at least 24 credit hours of college credit.
- The Study Abroad Program offers three types of programs:
- a. Exchange: UCM partners with over 30 institutions worldwide to offer high-quality academic programs in our high-demand fields of study. Students pay UCM tuition and earn UCM credit.
- Program Providers: UCM works with trusted providers like ISA and ISEP to provide students with opportunities to study in over 300 institutions located in 65 countries. Students pay a program fee that usually includes tuition and earn credit hours that are transferable to UCM.
- Short-Term Faculty-Led Programs: Students travel abroad with a UCM faculty director and fellow UCM students and participate in courses specially designed to enhance international experiences, foster critical thinking, and engage cultural differences.
- Students can choose to study abroad for one semester, a full academic year, or over the summer, spring or winter breaks.
- Depending on the program of study, students can study abroad any time after the second semester of their freshman year. Students who are considering study abroad during their final term before graduation should plan for enough time for final transcripts/documents to be received and processed by UCM. Graduation deadlines are firm, see Application for Graduation. There are also study abroad options for graduate students.
- Additionally, the Study Abroad Program supports academic service-learning abroad, independent research abroad, international internships and co-curricular experiences abroad that incorporate academic content.
- Every student receives up to a $1000 International Studies Grant, students that achieve a 3.50 GPA in a semester are offered a $500 Global Scholar Grant, and special grants are available for TRIO students. Additional scholarships for study abroad are offered through MoCents: ucmo.edu/mocents.
- Students must maintain a full-time course load at UCM and at the host university while participating in Study Abroad.
- Students participating in a Study Abroad program, when permitted to withdraw from a course, will not receive any refund.
In order to participate in the UCM Study Abroad Program, students will:
- Attend a Study Abroad 101 information session to learn about the online application process, specific opportunities, costs, grants and scholarships, course equivalencies, travel, passport and visa information and much more.
- Research UCM study abroad options online at ucmo.edu/studyabroad.
- Meet with a study abroad advisor to discuss academic needs, financial considerations and receive passport, visa and health/safety and travel advising.
- Consult an academic or program advisor.
- Consult Student Financial Services (WDE 1100, 660-543-8266).
- Apply to the program of their choice online at ucmo.edu/studyabroad.
- If applicable, fill out a host university application.
- Attend a study abroad Pre-Departure Orientation.
- If applicable, attend a Visa Workshop and learn how to obtain a visa.
- Purchase airfare, acquire a visa, pack light and enjoy the study abroad experience!
The following programs are some of the Exchange and Program Providers supported by UCM:
Canada, Chicoutimi, Quebec
The Universite du Quebec a Chicoutimi’s French language immersion program allows students to gain greater proficiency while living and studying in Quebec, Canada. Students may choose from Fall, Spring, or Summer programs.
The Beijing University of Technology (BJUT) offers Chinese language courses taught on a semester or year-long basis at BJUT. Business courses taught in English may also be taken by UCM students while studying Chinese language and culture.
Croatia, Zagreb zsem.hr
Zagreb School of Economics and Management (ZSEM) is an AACSB International accredited school of business, economics and finance. Courses are taught in English by European professors. Summer school options are available.
France, Angers. univ-angers.fr
University of Angers is the prime location for UCM students to pursue French language studies. Additional courses are available in history, geography, tourism, biology, ecology, computer science, mathematics, and business administration.
France, Lyon esdes.fr
The Catholic University of Lyon School of Business and Management offers international business courses taught in English and French. Classes include marketing, business law, finance, human resources, the European Union, and French art and architecture.
Germany, Bremen uni-bremen.de
At the University of Bremen courses are offered in language and cultural studies, economics, human and health sciences, mathematics, computer sciences, and social studies. Courses are taught in German and English and summer school opportunities are available.
Germany, Oestrich-Winkel ebs.edu
The European Business School (EBS) offers business, law, and aviation courses taught in English. EBS welcomes approximately 400 international students every year from more than 200 institutions worldwide. EBS also offers summer school options.
Each fall semester Missouri students may attend classes in a variety of subjects taught in English at the University of Ghana on the western coast of Africa.
Greece, Athens acg.edu
The Missouri-Greece Program provides a unique spring semester study opportunity in ancient Athens. Students may choose from over 1,000 courses in a variety of disciplines at Deree University. A summer archaeological dig is also available.
Hungary, Budapest bke.hu
Corvinus University of Budapest offers courses in business administration, economics, food science, horticulture, landscape architecture, public administration and social sciences. Corvinus also offers summer school opportunities.
International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) isep.org
Students may study in over 35 countries in a variety of academic areas with language studies or courses taught in English.
International Studies Abroad (ISA) studiesabroad.com
This organization offers a wide range of study abroad opportunities in over 70 locations worldwide. Internship and volunteer opportunities are also available.
Italy, Florence accademiaeuropeafirenze.it
The Accademia Europea di Firenze is an Italian Language, Music, Art and Culture school located in the center of Florence, Italy. Students may choose from fall, spring, year-long or summer programs. AEF courses are taught in English, and they have many elective courses in literature, history, politics and economics to complement course in the Fine and Performing Arts, as well as fashion and design.
Japan, Osaka kansaigaidai.ac.jp/asp
Kansai Gaidai University offers courses in business, political science, psychology, history and art. Japanese language and culture studies are available in addition to courses taught in English.
Mexico, various sites itesm.edu
Over 30 campuses located throughout Mexico are part of the Tecnológico de Monterrey system. Courses include Mexican culture, business, nursing and tourism. Special summer programs and internships are available.
The Netherlands, Groningen hanze.nl/eng
Hanze University of Applied Sciences offers a wide variety of academic programs, specializing in applied science. Special business/marketing and communication programs for honors students are offered each summer. An additional summer program in global health is expected in the future.
The Netherlands, Eindhoven w3.tue.nl/en
Eindhoven University of Technology provides courses in safety science, industrial hygiene, industrial management, engineering, architecture, mathematics and computer science.
New Zealand, Auckland unitec.ac.nz
Unitec Institute of Technology offers scenic study surroundings in architecture and design, fine art and studio art, the sciences, business, health and environmental sciences, and applied technology.
Norway, Oslo hio.no
The Oslo University College provides courses taught in English in the areas of business administration, engineering, fine art, design, drama, health sciences, media studies, social sciences and teacher education.
South Korea, Seoul english.uos.ac.kr
At University of Seoul students may conduct studies in Asian culture, Korean language and history, business, political science and globalization. Non-Korean language courses are taught in English and summer options are available.
Sweden, Örebro oru.se/english
Historic Örebro University offers English instruction for courses in business, communication, education and social work. United Kingdom, Pontypridd, Wales southwales.ac.uk The University of South Wales provides studies in communication, criminology, history, art, tourism and business for students interested in full-year study.
United Kingdom, Preston, England uclan.ac.uk
In northern England, the University of Central Lancashire provides full-year or spring semester studies in health sciences, sport science, fire science, business, and social sciences.
United Kingdom, London, England roehampton.ac.uk
Boasting a student community of over 110 nationalities, the University of Roehampton is committed to ensuring that students receive a truly globalized education during their time in London. Popular areas of student at Roehampton include: dance, biology, media studies, London studies, and social sciences.