Lovinger 2190 • 660-543-4272
The College of Education is comprised of:
Alternative Pathways to Certification
The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education provides multiple pathways toward educator certification. Here at UCM, we will help you work toward those goals.
If you already have an undergraduate degree, the Alternative Pathways to Certification program can help you complete the requirements for educator certification in the State of Missouri. To be eligible for admission to the Alternative Pathways to Certification program, you will need to meet the admissions criteria listed below.
The Alternative Pathways to Certification program provides hands-on learning through practicum experiences in the classroom. Classes may meet in a variety of formats depending on your intended teaching content area. Possible course locations/formats include the main campus in Warrensburg, the Missouri Innovation Campus in Lee’s Summit, or hybrid/online. This program is not guaranteed to be an online program. Some certification areas are not fully online options.
Program Admission Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to the Alternative Pathways to Teacher Certification (Alt Cert) program must have the following:
(1) Hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university,
(2) Have a 3.00 GPA in the declared teaching content area coursework or obtain a passing score on the designated Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA) in lieu of completing the required content area coursework as approved by DESE.
(3) Submit to and clear a background check (felony convictions may be disqualifying events) completed through the Missouri Highway Patrol/FBI within the past calendar year.
(4) A letter of intent responding to the following question, “Why are you interested in a teaching career?”
(5) Two letters of recommendation from college/university educators and/or supervisors qualified to address your potential for success as a PreK-12 educator and/or colleagues who are qualified to address your professional skills. (letters submitted to an education masters program at UCM will suffice)
Alternative Pathways to Certification is not a degree awarding program and by itself only leads to initial teacher certification in the state of Missouri. Candidates who wish to complete a graduate degree may do so concurrently by applying to one of the graduate degree programs below. These programs may require additional admission requires:
To get started on applying or for more information, please fill out our Alternative Certification Interest Form here: ucmo.edu/cert