Apr 01, 2023
Saint Charles Community College
The below courses are required for Criminal Justice and Criminology majors and can be fulfilled at SCC as part of the AAS Law Enforcement requirements. If these courses are not taken at SCC, they must be completed at UCM. The full list of SCC AAS requirements can be found in the SCC catalog.
Students who transfer to UCM with a completed Associate of Applied Science degree will need to complete the General Education program at UCM.
AAS General Education Requirements: 19 Semester Hours
The following courses will be taken as part of the AAS at SCC and fulfill UCM general education requirements (listed in parentheses).
- Choose a Mathematics course from the following (3): MAT 155, MAT 156, MAT 158, MAT 171, MAT 175, MAT 180, or MAT 210 (Knowledge Area II)
- ENG 101 English Composition I (3) transfers as ENGL 1020 - Composition I GE (3) (Foundational Skills: Writing I)
- COM 101 Oral Communication (3) OR COM 106 Public Communication (3) transfers as COMM 1000 - Public Speaking GE (3) (Foundational Skills: Communication)
- COM 110 Interpersonal Communication (3) transfers as GNED 1911 Transferred Oral Communication (Foundational Skills: Communication)
- HIS 101 U.S. History to 1877 (3) transfers as HIST 1350 - History of the United States to 1877 GE (3) (Knowledge Area III)
- HIS 102 U.S. History Since 1877 (3) transfers as HIST 1351 - History of the United States from 1877 GE (3) (Knowledge Area III)
- POL 101 American Government (3) transfers as POLS 1510 - American Government GE (3) (Knowledge Area III)
- Choose a Natural Science course from the following (3): BIO 105, BIO 108, BIO 110, BIO 122, CHM 101, PHY 111, or PHY 125 (Knowledge Area II)
- CPT 103 Microcomputer Applications (3) transfers as CIS 1600 - Business Information Management GE (3) (Foundational Skills: Managing Information)
AAS Core Course Requirements: 25-27 Semester Hours
AAS Law Enforcement Option: 15 Semester Hours
Minimum Total Hours Required for SCC AAS: 60-62 Semester Hours
UCM BS Criminal Justice and Criminology
The below list of courses represents the requirements a student will have left to complete after transferring to UCM with an Associate of Applied Science degree. Any courses listed above not taken at SCC must be completed as part of the BS requirements.
Major Requirements: 15 Semester Hours
General Education Requirements: 16 Semester Hours
The following General Education requirements will need to be completed at UCM. Please work with your UCM Success Advisor to enroll. Hours may vary depending on transfer coursework.
- Knowledge Area I (9 hours)
- Knowledge Area II (4 hours)
- Engagement (3 hours)
Free Choice Electives: 27-29 Semester Hours
Free choice elective hours may vary depending on transfer coursework and course selection at UCM.
Students must take at least 30 upper-level (3000/4000) hours to graduate. Courses taken at SCC that articulate to upper-level UCM courses do not count towards upper-level hours.
Minimum Total Hours Required for BS: 120 Semester Hours
This guide is based on the UCM 2021 Undergraduate Catalog and is subject to change. This guide is a recommendation only and your actual program may vary. Time to degree completion and course sequencing will depend on any credits transferred to UCM and on planned placement in math, reading, and writing. See the current UCM Undergraduate Catalog and SCC Course Catalog for a complete listing of academic policies, curriculum, prerequisites, and course descriptions.