May 26, 2022
This guide is valid for this Undergraduate Catalog only and is subject to change. This guide is a recommendation only and your actual program may vary. The time it takes to complete a degree and the sequence in which courses are taken will depend on any credits transferred to UCM and on placement in math and writing. See the current Undergraduate Catalog for a complete listing of academic policies, curriculum, prerequisites, and course descriptions.
Freshman Year - Fall Semester
Freshman Year - Spring Semester
Sophomore Year - Fall Semester
- POLS 2530 - World Politics GE (3)
- Major Elective in a Geographic Specialization (3) ***
- Modern Language Requirement (3) *
- General Education - Literature (3)
- General Education (3)
Sophomore Year - Spring Semester
- Free Choice Electives (Suggested Overseas Study, Internship or Service Learning experience) (15) ##
Junior Year - Fall Semester
Junior Year - Spring Semester
Senior Year - Fall Semester
Senior Year - Spring Semester
- Free Choice Electives (15)
International Studies Major, BA Degree - 120 hours
- * See the current Undergraduate Catalog for B.A. Degree fulfillment options. This plan is based on 12 hours of modern foreign language. The number of free choice electives required will depend on modern language placement.
- ** UNIV 1400 is a free choice elective and is highly recommended for academic success. If UNIV 1400 is chosen, 1 less hour of free choice electives will be needed.
- *** Students will choose six credit hours of Major Electives in a Geographic Specialization from one of the five Geographic Specialization areas (1 - African Studies, 2 - Asian Studies, 3 - European Studies, 4 - Latin American Studies, or 5 - Middle East Studies). See the Undergraduate Catalog for course selections.
- # Students will choose 12 credit hours of Major Electives in a Content Specialization from one of the four content Specialization areas (1 - The Global Society and Culture, 2 - International Relations, Peace and Justice, 3 - International Political Economy and Policy Studies, or 4 - Human Development and the Physical Environment). A minimum of six credit hours of this 12 must be at the upper level (3000/4000). See the 2016 Undergraduate Catalog for course selections.
- ## Students in this major are required to complete an International Experience Requirement (1 - study abroad program, 2 - international internship, or 3 - international service learning program). The experience must be approved by the International Studies director.
- 10 This course fulfills Competency 10 - Integration in the General Education program. The hours count in the major, not in general education.
- Students must earn 30 hours of upper level credits (3000/4000) overall to meet graduation requirements. Make choices in the major electives and/or general education accordingly.
- To satisfy the General Education Assessment (GEA) Policy, students must take the GEA after they earn 60 credit hours but before earning 75 credit hours. Transfer students who have more than 60 hours earned should take the exam during their second semester at UCM. Students must achieve a passing score of 425 to meet graduation requirements. Students may register for the GEA through MyCentral. Contact UCM Testing Services (HUM 216, 660-543-4919, email@example.com) for more information.