Sep 26, 2020
Major, Bachelor of Music Education Degree
The graduate with a Bachelor of Music Education degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Effectively communicate and contribute to artistic interpretations of diverse music through musicological, theoretical, creative, and performance studies.
- Apply current pedagogical and administrative techniques of music at elementary and secondary school levels.
- Perform with appropriate technique and musicality in primary area of specialization.
- Demonstrate functional piano performance skills.
Instrumental Major Option, Bachelor of Music Education Degree (45-440)
Certification to teach instrumental music in grades K-12.
Music Education, BME (45-440) (Instrumental Option - even year start plan) (4 Year Guide)
Major Requirements: 64.5-68.5 Semester Hours
BME Instrumental Students
Are expected to be in a major large instrumental ensemble during every semester up to their student teaching semester, with a minimum of seven (7) separate semesters to include:
Woodwind, Brass & Percussion Students:
4 Combined Semester Hours in
(up to 2 total semester hours of MUS 1081 , MUS 4081 & MUS 4025 , may be applied toward degree)
Keyboard & Guitar majors must choose band or orchestra as their major large ensemble, Guitar majors may apply up to two (2) s.h. in MUS 4088 toward their major large ensemble requirements.
Professional Education Requirements: 35 Semester Hours
Must earn a 3.00 GPA or higher with no grade lower than a C in Professional Education courses.
Student Teaching Semester: 12 Semester Hours
General Education: 33 Semester Hours
All students must complete a minimum of 42 credit hours in general education. See The General Education Program Requirements for full listing of requirements. The following general education classes are required by this major:
Minimum Total: 135-136.5 Semester Hours
For additional certification to teach vocal music with the INSTRUMENTAL Major Option, B.M.E. Degree, see the school chair.
10 Competency 10 course
* This course has a prerequisite not listed in the program if admission by examination is not sufficient.
NOTE: MUS 1210 - Experiencing Music GE (3) cannot be counted in the Music Degree Major courses or General Education courses for this degree.