Jul 18, 2019
This guide is valid for this Undergraduate Catalog only and is subject to change. This guide is a recommendation only and your actual program may vary. The time it takes to complete a degree and the sequence in which courses are taken will depend on any credits transferred to UCM and on placement in math and writing. See the current Undergraduate Catalog for a complete listing of academic policies, curriculum, prerequisites, and course descriptions.
Freshman Year - Fall Semester
Semester Total: 14.5-16.5 Hours
Freshman Year - Spring Semester
Semester Total: 15-16 Hours
Sophomore Year - Fall Semester
Semester Total: 12-16 Hours
Sophomore Year - Spring Semester
Semester Total: 12-13 Hours
Junior Year - Fall Semester
Junior Year - Spring Semester
Senior Year - Fall Semester
Semester Total: 14-18 Hours
Senior Year - Spring Semester
Semester Total: 12-15 Hours
After Junior or Senior Year - Summer Semester
Music Major (Music Technology Option), BM Degree - 120 Hours
- + MUS 1100 with a grade of C or better may be required as a prerequisite to MUS 1111 if the student does not pass this course by the admission examination.
- ++ Eight hours of Approved Electives in Music are required, these may include any MUS course excluding MUS 1100 and MUS 1210 . For most students, this will include Piano Class I-IV.
- * This course is only offered during the semester listed.
- ** Choose 1 hour of Introductory Music Technology Electives. Each course is worth .5 credit hours and they must be completed during the freshman year. Choose two courses from the following five: MUS 1400 , MUS 1410 , MUS 1420 , MUS 1430 , and/or MUS 1440 . Students may also choose to do .5 hours in the fall semester and .5 hours in the spring semester, as three of the courses are fall semester only and two of the courses are spring semester only.
- *** Keyboard competency is required for this degree program. Private piano lessons may be required to reach competency. If the four hours of Piano Class are not taken, four hours of Approved Electives in Music will be required to reach the total of 8 hours required.
- # This major area requires six hours of Music Academic Studies Electives. Choose from MUS 1220 , MUS 1281 , MUS 3141 MUS 4000 , MUS 4101 , MUS 4125 , or MUS 4185 . If chosen, MUS 1220 or MUS 1281 will count for 3 hours of credit in the section “Additional Hours for Knowledge Area I” section of general education.
- 10 This course fulfills Competency 10 - Integration in the General Education program. The hours count in the major, not in general education.
- To satisfy the General Education Assessment (GEA) Policy, students must take the GEA after they earn 60 credit hours but before earning 75 credit hours. Transfer students who have more than 60 hours earned should take the exam during their second semester at UCM. Students must achieve a passing score of 425 to meet graduation requirements. Students may register for the GEA through MyCentral. Contact UCM Testing Services (HUM 216, 660-543-4919, firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.