Major, Bachelor of Science Degree
A Public Relations Bachelor of Science degree requires a minimum of 120 semester hours and a four semester minimum sequence of courses. A minor is not required but is encouraged. An Industry Practices concentration is also elective.
To provide students with a world-class education, through a small-college learning environment, in Public Relations and strategic communication.
The graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Public Relations will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Demonstrate Public Relations driven knowledge and understanding.
- Demonstrate written, oral and visual communication knowledge and application proficiency for Public Relations purposes.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision making proficiency relevant to Public Relations purposes.
- Demonstrate research knowledge and application proficiency for Public Relations purposes.
- Demonstrate strategic planning knowledge and application proficiency for Public Relations purposes.
- Demonstrate preparedness for professional life and/or further academic study.
At the time of first admission to UCM, a student should indicate/declare the intent to become a Public Relations major. Each declared major is encouraged to visit a program academic advisor in the Harmon College of Business and Professional Studies (Ward Edwards 1600, phone 660-543-8577). In addition, the student can also visit with Public Relations faculty in Dockery 200, PR Suite, 660-543-4246.
The following prerequisites are required for admission to the Public Relations program: (1) completion of general education courses ENGL 1020 and (ENGL 1030 or ENGL 1080 or CTE 3060 ), and MKT 1401 or COMM 1000 or COMM 1050 with a grade no lower than a C; and (2) completion of major-specific courses PR 2620 , PR 3610 and PR 3620 , with no grade lower than a C and a 2.33 grade-point average or better.
The Public Relations faculty encourage all students to meet with an advisor each semester before enrolling.
- Course substitutions for program requirements may be made only by the Public Relations program advisor and department chair.
- A student may not graduate with a degree in Public Relations in which the grade of record for any required communication coursework is an F.
- A student must earn a grade no lower than a C in the following courses in order to graduate with a Public Relations degree: MKT 1401; COMM 1000 ; COMM 1050 ; ENGL 1020 and (ENGL 1030 or ENGL 1080 or CTE 3060 ); PR 1600 , PR 2620 , PR 3605 , PR 3610 and PR 3620 .
- Only six semester hours of communication coursework with a D can be counted toward the Public Relations major. Any D credits to be counted must be approved by the public relations program faculty advisor.
- To graduate with a Public Relations degree, a student must obtain at least a 2.25 grade-point average for all credit hours completed at UCM or elsewhere and attain at least a 2.50 grade-point average for all course work in the major.
- PR 4600 may be repeated for up to nine hours. Three hours of PR 4605 are required; three additional hours of PR 4605 are elective. PR 4625 may be repeated up to nine hours with proper approval. PR 4627 may be repeated up to nine hours with proper approval.
- Public Relations majors are not required to complete a concentration or minor. They are, however, encouraged to complete the Public Relations-specific Industry Practices concentration or any minor of their choosing. The Industry Practices concentration and minors can be declared when visiting the HCBPS Academic Advising Office.
Public Relations, BS (43-351) (4 Year Guide)