Minor, Bachelor of Science in Education Degree
Certification to teach mathematics in grades 5-9 with a middle school-junior high school major.
Elementary education majors 1-6 may use this as an area of concentration.
A graduate with a Mathematics Minor for a Bachelor of Science in Education degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Teach mathematics to a diverse population of 5-9 learners by applying relevant learning theories, using a variety of teaching strategies, and incorporating materials, technology, and resources.
- Understand the appropriate uses of technology as tools for representing mathematical ideas, investigating patterns, testing conjectures, and representing data.
- Communicate mathematical thinking coherently, analyze and evaluate the mathematical thinking of others, and use the language of mathematics to express mathematical ideas precisely.
- Use representations to model and interpret physical, social, and mathematical phenomena.
- Understand how mathematical ideas interconnect and build on one another to produce a coherent whole and apply mathematics in contexts outside of mathematics.