The Department of Elementary and Early Childhood Education
Teacher Education programs in the Department of Elementary and Early Childhood Education are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). The BSE in Elementary Education includes two options. The Early Childhood Education option leads to Missouri teaching certification for Birth-Grade 3. The Elementary Education Grades 1 -6 option leads to Missouri teaching certification for grades 1 - 6.
The junior and senior levels in the program are field-based blocks which integrate core content (language arts/literacy, mathematics, science, and social studies). All courses are listed as corequisites and are embedded within the context of practice in a UCM Partner School. Students who need to fulfill a part of a block need to consult with a departmental faculty advisor.
Those courses designated as Professional Education Courses for education certification purposes are designated by a book symbol. Students must earn at least a C grade in all Professional Education courses, maintain
Department Recommendation for Admission to Teacher Education
Before a candidate may be granted admission to the teacher education program and be permitted to continue preparing for student teaching, the department is asked to evaluate the competence of the student in the major being sought. The Department of Elementary and Early Childhood Education Admission to Teacher Education policy is as follows:
Prior to enrollment in Junior Block 1, the candidate must:
- Complete all sections of the general education assessment (MoGEA). (A passing score is not required at this point.)
- Complete the Missouri Educator Profile Assessment and meet with a faculty advisor to discuss results.
- Transfer students and students with an early childhood minor will have until the end of Block 1 to complete the above requirements.
Prior to enrollment in Junior Block 2, the candidate must:
- Maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA, a 3.0 major GPA, and a 3.0 Professional Education GPA.
- Obtain a recommendation from Block 1 faculty.
During Junior Block 2, the candidate must:
- Complete and submit the Request for Departmental Recommendation for admission into the Teacher Education Form.
Prior to enrollment in Senior Block 1, the candidate must:
- Be fully admitted to the Teacher Education Program.
- Obtain a recommendation from Block 2 faculty.
- Complete all sections of the Missouri Content Assessment. (A passing score is not required at this point.)