Mar 28, 2023
Major, Bachelor of Arts Degree
The graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of core concepts, ideologies, and theories in Political Science.
- Investigate theories of law and justice, and individual rights and responsibilities in a democratic system.
- Explain the complexities of politics in an international community.
- Demonstrate knowledge of diverse governmental systems.
- Critically assess contemporary public policy issues.
- Analyze, conduct, and critically assess scholarly research in Political Science.
- Communicate effectively about politics in both written and oral forms.
- Prepare for successful careers in public, private, and non-profit service sector, or post-graduate education.
Political Science, BA (42-425) (4 Year Guide)
Major Requirements: 36 Sem. Hours
Students must take one class from each of the three (3) areas not chosen for their main area. POLS 4590 , POLS 4591 , POLS 4592 and POLS 1244 do not fulfill this requirement. Students must earn twelve (12) hours of upper-level (3000/4000) credit in their major and thirty (30) hours overall. Choose major electives accordingly.
Select from One of the Following Areas of Emphasis: 9 Sem. Hours
Area 1 - American Politics
Area 2 - Public Law and Theory
Area 3 - Comparative Politics
Area 4 - International Relations
General Education Requirements: 30-33 Sem. Hours
All students must complete a minimum of 42 credit hours in general education. See The General Education Program Requirements for full listing of requirements. The following general education classes are required by this major:
Modern Language Requirement: 6-9 Sem. Hours
Refer to Bachelor’s Degree Requirements section for fulfillment options
Free Electives: 42-48 Sem. Hours
Minimum Total: 120 Sem. Hours
10Competency 10 course