Jun 05, 2023
Major, Bachelor of Arts Degree
The graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Studies will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Develop an awareness of how the world’s systems are interdependent and how local economic and social patterns have a global impact beyond their effect on individual lives.
- Understand and be able to analyze the critical topics in international affairs and global issues.
- Demonstrate knowledge of various social movements and organizations that have created and are creating goals and values that transcend national cultures and ideologies.
- Communicate program-specific knowledge effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively at the intermediate level in a foreign language.
- Employ the discipline’s theories, approaches, and methods in order to examine and understand past, present, and possible future international interactions.
- Develop sensitivity and respect for other cultures and an ability to operate with civility in a complex, diverse and globalized world.
International Studies, BA (42-563) (4 Year Guide)
Major Requirements: 42 Sem. Hours
Content 1 The Global Society & Culture
Content 2 International Relations, Peace & Justice
Content 3 International Political Economy & Policy Studies
Content 4 Human Development & the Physical Environment
Geographic 1 African Studies
Geographic 2 Asian Studies
Geographic 3 European Studies
Geographic 4 Latin American Studies
Geographic 5 Middle East Studies
General Education Requirements: 27-33 Sem. Hours
All students must complete a minimum of 42 credit hours in general education. See The General Education Program Requirements for full listing of requirements. The following general education classes are required by this major:
Modern Language Requirement: 12 Semester Hours
All international studies majors must demonstrate proficiency in a modern language other than their native language. This requirement can be satisfied in one of the following ways: a) Complete 12 credit hours of one modern language with a grade of C or better in each course; b) Test and receive a ranking of “intermediate” (equivalent to 2 years or 12 hours) in a modern language; c) Test and receive a ranking of “intermediate” in both the oral and written portions of the ACTFL test in a modern language.
International Experience Requirement
All international studies majors must satisfy one of the following: a) Participate in a study abroad program approved by UCM; b) Participate in an international internship approved by the International Studies Director and sponsored by a department at UCM; c) Participate in an international service learning program approved by the International Studies Director.
Free Electives: 33-39 Sem. Hours
Minimum Total: 120 Sem. Hours
10Competency 10 course