Mar 28, 2023
Major, Bachelor of Music Degree
The graduate with a Bachelor of Music degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Understand the basic elements and structures of music history, theory, and performance literature.
- Understand music’s relationship to the other arts, and how the arts relate to mankind.
- Use technology in appropriate music applications.
- Communicate the intellectual (thinking), emotional, and aesthetic (valuing) qualities of music to a diverse society.
- Perform at the highest possible level in his/her primary performance medium.
- Articulate essential elements of music and music performance.
- Demonstrate functional piano performance skills
The Music department offers six options within this program. While each option requires specific courses and number of hours, all students must complete the following 25-hour core set of courses as part of the B. M. degree. Students should consult with their academic advisor to determine the unique requirements for each option.
Music Major (Area 3: Music Technology), BM (44-03472) (4 Year Guide)
Major Requirements: 78-88.5 Sem. Hours
Major Core Requirements: 19 Semester Hours
Option 3 Music Technology: 68.5-69.5 Sem. Hours
Electives in Music Academic Studies from the Following: 6 Sem. Hours
Electives in Electronics or Computer Programming from the Following: 3-4 Sem. Hours
Keyboard Competency is demonstrated by passing MUS 2502 - Piano Class IV (1) with a grade of B or better, or passing the piano proficiency examination.
General Education Requirements (Option 3): 33-36
All students must complete a minimum of 42 credit hours in general education. See The General Education Program Requirements for full listing of requirements. The following general education classes are required by this major:
Free Electives: 0-5 Sem. Hours
Minimum Total: 120 Sem. Hours
10Competency 10 course
*This course has a prerequisite not listed in the program if admission by examination is not sufficient.
NOTE: MUS 1210 - Experiencing Music GE (3) cannot be counted in the Music Degree Major courses or General Education courses for this degree.
NOTE: Major large ensembles cannot count toward General Education for the Music Major.