Feb 06, 2023
Major, Bachelor of Music Education Degree
The graduate with a Bachelor of Music Education degree will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Understand the basic elements and structures of music history, theory, and performance literature.
- Understand music’s relationship to the other arts, and how the arts relate to mankind.
- Use technology in appropriate music applications.
- Communicate the intellectual (thinking), emotional, and aesthetic (valuing) qualities of music to a diverse society.
- Teach essential elements of music and music performance at elementary and secondary school levels.
- Perform with appropriate tone, technique, and musicality in his/her primary performance medium.
- Demonstrate functional piano performance skills.
Instrumental Major Option, Bachelor of Music Education Degree (45-440)
Certification to teach instrumental music in grades K-12.
Music Education Major (Option 1: Instrumental - even year start plan), BME (45-440) (4 Year Guide)
Major Requirements: 64.5-68.5 Sem. Hours
BME Instrumental Students
Are expected to be in a major large instrumental ensemble during every semester up to their student teaching semester, with a minimum of seven (7) separate semesters to include:
Woodwind, Brass & Percussion Students:
4 Combined Semester Hours in
(up to 2 total semester hours of MUS 1081 , MUS 4081 & MUS 4025 , may be applied toward degree)
Keyboard & Guitar majors must choose band or orchestra as their major large ensemble, Guitar majors may apply up to two (2) s.h. in MUS 4088 toward their major large ensemble requirements.
Professional Education Requirements: 35 Sem. Hours
Must earn a 3.00 GPA or higher with no grade lower than a C in Professional Education courses.
Student Teaching Semester: 12 Sem. Hours
General Education: 33 Sem. Hours
All students must complete a minimum of 42 credit hours in general education. See The General Education Program Requirements for full listing of requirements. The following general education classes are required by this major:
Minimum Total: 135-136.5 Sem. Hours
For additional certification to teach vocal music with the INSTRUMENTAL Major Option, B.M.E. Degree, see the department chair.
10 Competency 10 course
* This course has a prerequisite not listed in the program if admission by examination is not sufficient.
NOTE: MUS 1210 - Experiencing Music GE (3) cannot be counted in the Music Degree Major courses or General Education courses for this degree.
NOTE: Major Large Ensembles cannot count toward General Education for the Music Major.