Jun 01, 2023
This guide is valid for this Undergraduate Catalog only and is subject to change. This guide is a recommendation only and your actual program may vary. The time it takes to complete a degree and the sequence in which courses are taken will depend on any credits transferred to UCM and on placement in math and writing. See the current Undergraduate Catalog for a complete listing of academic policies, curriculum, prerequisites, and course descriptions.
Freshman Year - Fall Semester
Freshman Year - Spring Semester
Sophomore Year - Fall Semester
Sophomore Year - Spring Semester
Junior Year - Fall Semester
Junior Year - Spring Semester
- Upper-Level Elective in American History (3)
- Upper-Level Elective in World History (3) ***
- Free Choice Electives# (9) #
Senior Year - Fall Semester
- Upper-Level Elective in World History (6) ***
- Upper-Level Elective in History (3)
- Free Choice Electives (6) #
Senior Year - Spring Semester
History Major, B.S. Degree - 120 hours
- A grade of C or better is required in all major courses.
- * Must earn a 2.50 combined GPA in the following courses: HIST 1350 , HIST 1351 , HIST 1400 , HIST 1401 , and HIST 1402 . Students must apply for admission to the major program after completion of the five survey courses. See History (Wood 136, 660-543-4404).
- ** UNIV 1400 is a free choice elective and is highly recommended for academic success. If UNIV 1400 is chosen, 1 less hour of free choice electives will be needed.
- *** A minimum of three hours of world history must be non-western history, or HIST 4452 or HIST 4453 .
- # See History faculty advisor for suggestions on using free choice electives toward one of the areas (Business, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Web Management, Law, Africana Studies, Digital Media Production, Criminal Justice, Safety Sciences, Instructional Design, or build your own area) which can easily become a minor with a few additional courses. Minors and double majors are strongly encouraged.
- ## HIST 4500 - Senior Capstone in History (3) is usually only offered in the spring semesters and has HIST 3010 The Historian’s Craft as a prerequisite. Students may not take HIST 3010 and HIST 4500 in the same semester.
- 10 This course fulfills Competency 10 - Integration in the General Education program. The hours count in the major, not in general education.
- This major does not build in the minimum number (30) of upper-level credit hours required for graduation. Be sure to include upper-level choices (3000/4000) in your major electives, general education, and/or free choice electives.
- To satisfy the General Education Assessment (GEA) Policy, students must take the GEA after they earn 60 credit hours but before earning 75 credit hours. Transfer students who have more than 60 hours earned should take the exam during their second semester at UCM. Students must achieve a passing score of 425 to meet graduation requirements. Students may register for the GEA through MyCentral. Contact UCM Testing Services (HUM 216, 660-543-4919, firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.