Jan 30, 2023
Major, Bachelor of Science Degree
The graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry will use the knowledge and skills obtained in the program to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of core knowledge concerning the major concepts in the basic areas of the discipline (analytical, biological, inorganic, organic and physical chemistry).
- Solve problems by identifying the essential parts of a problem, developing a strategy for solving the problem, and applying appropriate methodology to arrive at a solution.
- Use computers in data acquisition and processing and use software as a tool in data analysis.
- Utilize modern search tools to locate and retrieve scientific information about a chemical, chemical technique, or topic relating to chemistry.
- Understand the objective, correctly conduct, and appropriately record and interpret the results of chemical experiments.
- Use standard laboratory equipment, modern instrumentation, and standard techniques to carry out experiments.
- Follow the proper procedures and regulations for safe handling and use of chemicals.
- Effectively communicate chemical concepts and experimental results through writing and oral communication skills.
- Successfully pursue their career objectives in advanced education in professional and/or graduate schools, in a scientific career in government or industry, in a teaching career in the school systems, or in a related career following graduation.
Chemistry (43-393) - Option 1 - Chemistry, BS (4 Year Guide)
Chemistry (43-393) - Option 2 - Chemistry: ACS Certified, BS (4 Year Guide) Begin Odd Numbered Year
Chemistry (43-393) - Option 3 - Biochemistry, BS (4 Year Guide) Begin Odd Numbered Year
Major Requirements: 45-61 Sem. Hours
Choose One of the Following 3 Options: 6-21 Sem. Hours
Option 1 - Chemistry: 6 Sem. Hours
Option 2 - Chemistry: ACS Certified: 16 Sem. Hours
Electives from the following: 6 Sem. Hours
Option 3 - Biochemistry: 22 Sem. Hours
General Education Requirements: 46-47 Sem. Hours
All students must complete a minimum of 42 credit hours in general education. Some majors require additional hours due to required coursework. See The General Education Program Requirements for full listing of requirements. The following general education classes are required by this major:
Minimum Total: 120 Sem. Hours
10 Competency 10 course
* This course has a prerequisite not listed in the program; click on the course number for additional requirements.